Tuesday, March 27, 2012

America’s Next Top Model Star Told How She Crashed Into The Language Barrier

The Caledonian beauty making a splash in the latest series of America’s Next Top Model yesterday told how she crashed into the language barrier.

Producers have been forced to put up subtitles after Stateside viewers complained they couldn’t understand 22-year-old Ashley Brown’s West Lothian accent.

Mum-of-two Ashley admits the other contestants, judges and even show host supermodel Tyra Banks often had no idea what she was saying.

But now she has hit back, saying her accent makes more sense than producers dressing her up as Princess Diana.

America’s Next Top Model: British Invasion, which pits seven UK beauties against seven US rivals, is airing now in the States and will be shown in Britain in the autumn.

In the opening episode, Ashley is seen struggling to communicate with a stylist and the other models.

Now back home in Armadale but staying tight-lipped on the outcome of the show, Ashley said: “I got on so well with all the other contestants but knew from day one that the American girls could not understand me.

“I remember phoning my mum and saying, ‘I bet they put up subtitles when the show airs’ and they have. How funny.

“I was speaking slowly and politely so I don’t know how they would have coped if I had unleashed the full force of my Scottish accent.

“Even Tyra looked at me blankly every time I spoke and I had to repeat lots of what I was saying. It became a real laugh.”

Ashley took part in the British version of the show three years ago but was slated by viewers and fell out with her fellow ­contestants.

The bubbly brunette and her children, Alysha, six, and three-year-old Jay, are delighted she has a second chance to show her true self.

She is the only Scot in the show, which features Girls Aloud’s Nadine Coyle, singer Kelly Osbourne and TV host Cat Deeley as guest judges.

American TV ­critics have warmed to Ashley, who broke down in tears after narrowly avoiding the boot from the opening show.

Ashley, who has been with partner Scott Clarkson, 22, for two years, said: “I swore I’d never do another reality TV show but I couldn’t pass up such a great opportunity.

“I went in with the attitude that I was not going to start any trouble because I knew my mum would give me a row when I got home.

“Britain’s Next Top Model was three years ago and people change, so I’m glad I am coming across better this time.”

Ashley endured abuse from strangers after the UK show, in which she had several bust-ups with fellow contestants. Jibes about her kids and comments about stretch marks triggered tantrums and angry outbursts.

She admitted: “I am really embarrassed about the way I came across on the British show. Part of it was my own fault and part of it was the way it was edited.

“I talked about my kids all the time but they never showed it so I was slated for being a bad mum. I’ve shed a lot of tears over it all.

“I’m a good mum and want my daughter to be proud of me, so I’m delighted the American show is revealing my true character.”
ashley brown Image 3

Ashley’s mum Kath Emerson, 43, who runs a business magazine, is proud of her daughter. She said: “Ashley is a great girl and everybody loves her. It was horrible to see the way she came across on the UK show.

“This time everyone is getting to see her as the outgoing and happy-go-lucky person she really is. She really behaved herself and we couldn’t be more proud.

“Ashley works very hard and deserves to go all the way to the top.”

Episode five of the fight to win a career-launching modelling contract in the US airs this Wednesday in the States and Ashley is still in the race.

Tasks have included a kids’ party photoshoot with the Kardashians and a shoot at Thunder Road, featured in the movie Grease.

In the first episode, Ashley ended up in the bottom two after being made up as Princess Diana.

She said: “The tasks have been amazing and it was fabulous meeting the Kardashians but why they made me dress up as Diana, I will never know.

“We were to pose as someone famous from our home country. I tried to tell them Diana was not a Scot, but they would not listen.”

Ashley can’t reveal how far she gets in the competition but admits it was one of the best ­experiences of her life, even though she has not watched one single episode.

She said: “I stopped watching the UK show after four episodes as my behaviour was making me cringe and I’ve no intention of ever watching the American one. I cannot bear to hear or see myself on TV.”

Ashley, who has a black belt in Taekwondo and won silver fighting big sister Nicole, 24, in the final of the Scottish championships last month, plans to start a modelling school.

She said: “It will be for girls from all walks of life. They don’t have to be model material.

“I want to give girls more self-confidence and as well as teaching them how to walk, I will be teaching them how to defend ­themselves.

“All my family are mad about Taekwondo. My dad David is a master and Nicole and I are always battling it out for titles.”

No comments:

Post a Comment