Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Kristin Chenoweth


"I have to pay my dues like everybody else," the multi-talented Kristin Chenoweth tells us when we ask about advantages to starting a career in country music as an already-established fixture in the entertainment world.

The humble Oklahoma native is certainly proving her sincerity.

Even though a nominee, she skipped last week's Emmy Awards in favor of appearing on the Grand Ole Opry stage, and is spending almost as much time in Nashville as she is New York or L.A. these days.

Kristin visited our AOL Music Sessions studios to sing several new songs from her debut country album, 'Some Lessons Learned,' dazzling our staff with both her powerful pipes and peppy personality. The premiere of her live performances and candid interview will be right here on The Boot & AOL Music tomorrow (Sept. 27).

In the meantime, enjoy this sneak peek behind the scenes of the actress/singer's Sessions in the video player below.As the Tony-winning Broadway actress and upcoming American Country Awards co-host Kristin Chenoweth gets ready to release her album 'Some Lessons Learned' next week, she's teasing us with a new song, a new video ... and a familiar tune. Watch the new country sensation perform 'Lessons Learned' -- originally included on Carrie Underwood's debut album 'Some Hearts.'

Though we love Carrie's take, we've found ourselves transfixed by the sincerity that Kristin is channeling in her 'Wicked' good performance of the song. After all, it fits the message of her album quite well. "This whole record is filled with songs that are me," Kristin tells the Boot. "This is a woman who has experienced success, failures, heartbreak, rejection, things that people don't think happened. I want to paint the overall picture of who I am. It's me getting to exorcize things."

The song was penned by legendary songwriter Diane Warren, who also wrote four other tracks on Kristin's 'Some Lessons Learned.' The new album hits stores September 13.
On her debut country album, 'Some Lessons Learned,' the multi-talented Kristin Chenoweth pays tribute to one of the most important people in her life, her dad.

"Well you laughed and told me you really wanted a boy / But you cried first time you held me, said you never felt such joy / That's fathers and daughters," the Oklahoma native sings in the opening lines of her latest single, 'Fathers and Daughters.'
Kristin visited our studios to sing several tunes from the new album. (Come back to The Boot next week for her exclusive live performance!) We also sat down with the songstress to talk about the new music.

Read her personal connection to 'Fathers and Daughters' below, along with her performance of the tune at her debut appearance on the Grand Ole Opry.

"I have a really tight relationship with my family, especially my mom and dad," Kristin tells The Boot. "My mom has been my best friend, and she's been such an inspiration to me. She's survived cancer three times in her life, and my dad has been a great example of what a father is and what a husband should be.

In fact, I tell him all the time that he ruined it for me, which is why I'm single because I keep comparing men to him. Daddy issues, that would be me. [laughs] But I sing a song on my record called fathers and daughters that the wonderful Jodi Marr wrote, and though it wasn't written for me, it feels like it was.

If I could have written a song about my father, it would be this song. And the reaction to it has been so strong, because it's a relationship song. Even if its mother-son, or brother-sister. It's very special."

No comments:

Post a Comment